What is AVID?
AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination and is a regularly scheduled elective class that prepares students with academic potential, for success in advanced high school classes and in college. Mohave Valley Junior High is accepting 30 students for this class in the 2018-19 school year.
What are the expectations for an AVID student?
- Maintain C average
- 90% or greater attendance
- Maintain an organized binder
- Take notes once per week in ever class
- Participate in weekly tutoring during your elective class
- Take at least 1 Honors course
What are the expectations for an AVID parent?
- Encourage their students to achieve academically
- Maintain regular contact with the AVID teacher
What happens in the AVID class?
- academic instruction in writing, note-taking, studying, test taking, and organizing
- academic support from high school or college tutors through collaborative tutorial groups and peer counselling
- motivation to pursue academic excellence through goal setting, rigorous classes, cultural and collegiate field trips, classroom speakers, and AVID team building
How do I apply?
Students may ask their sixth or seventh grade teacher for an application, pick one up in the front office, or print one out on our web site. Applications are due April 13th. There will also be an informational parent night in the upcoming weeks. If you have questions beforehand, please contact Mr. Troidl at 928-768-1129